Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Building a clean plate without an IBK node, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] In the previous video, we saw how to build…a clean plate out of several frames of a clip,…which is fine unless the camera is moving…or the lighting is changing.…If that's the case, then a clean plate has to be generated…frame by frame over the length of the shot.…Here we'll see a nifty way to build a clean plate…for each frame, but without using the IBKColour node.…Okay, starting with our read node here,…we'll push in on this, we do our obligatory denoise,…and here we're pulling our key…switching the viewer to the alpha channel.…
The key points of the key are that it have…a solid core, no holes, no soft spots,…hard edges, and complete coverage.…This is just a garbage matte to help the keyer.…And by the way, you can use any keyer you want…as long as you fulfill the requirement of…solid core, hard edges, and complete coverage.…Now we need the RGB over the alpha for the next bit.…For key light, that's really easy to do,…all we have to do is set the view to intermediate result…and we'll get the original green screen RGB…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.