Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Building a clean plate from a clip, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Lecturer] So far, we've been building our clean plate…with the IBK Color node.…Here we'll take a look at a couple of alternate workflows…for creating clean plates by blending…multiple frames of a clip.…The idea is to build a single clean frame that's used…with the entire clip.…We're gonna look at a couple of different techniques here.…In this first clip we have soldiers…marching across the screen from left to right.…Turns out I only need two frames:…frame 30 and frame 80.…
So from frame 30, I can use this part of the screen…and then from frame 80 that part of the screen…to build my clean plate.…The question is, what's an easy way to do that?…Okay so, we'll start the course with our usual Denoise.…And then let me go back here to my first frame.…I used a Keylight node to pull a Hard key, very important,…nothing here in the backing region.…Here I'll gamma up, so no noise back here…and solid characters we'll gamma down,…no holes in characters, okay?…So that's a Hard key here.…
Next, we'll dilate it to expand it…so that it is everywhere larger than the characters.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.