Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Assisting the keyer with additional keys, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] Sometimes the keyer just can't…pull a good key on some region of the picture,…so we have to go in and help the keyer…by pulling a separate key for that region…using other techniques, then merging it with the main key.…In the previous chapter, we saw…a million ways to pull a key.…Here we'll use a couple of them,…then see how to merge them into the main key.…Again, it doesn't matter which keyer you are using,…or which keying technique.…The idea is the keyer itself is having a tough time,…and we have to help it out somehow.…
Here's our set up.…I'll push in here.…Starting with our green screen,…we do our obligatory D noise for a nice clean plate,…then I used Primatte to pull the main key,…and there's my current alpha channel.…Again, like we saw before, we didn't get…any good feather details,…so were going to try a couple of different ways…of filling in that feather detail…without using another keyer node.…The first step is always to inspect the problem,…and devise a solution, how is my target,…these dark feathers, different from the rest of the picture?…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nukewith Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
NUKE Compositing: Sci-Fi Force Fieldwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.