Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Animating the interactive lighting, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Instructor] Here, we'll take a look at more sophisticated…techniques for creating interactive lighting effects.…First, we'll get tricky to create a…difficult procedural mask.…Then, we'll use some Nuke automation to procedurally animate…a lighting effect to a flickering campfire.…Now, this scene has some obvious strong lighting…from the right, but our character, not so much.…So we'll come down here and add…a strong lighting effect to the right.…Now, in this case, the challenge is creating a proper mask…because we need a mask that will be thick,…right here in the mid part,…but much narrower up here in the hat.…
So we need a technique that will adapt…to the width of the character.…So let's take a look at what got here.…Let's come up here and take a look at our alpha channel.…We'll scoot in.…First thing I did was invert it.…And then, I used a Grade node to knock it down.…The reason I wanted to knock it down is…because I'm going to add together…a whole bunch of copies of this thing,…and they're gonna get brighter, brighter, and brighter.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012)with Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.