Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Adjusting the spill luminance and color, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Narrator] When you see bad edges in a comp,…the usual suspect is the key.…But the problem may be the spill suppression,…which has put dark or off-colored edges…on the despilled plate, which ends up in the comp.…Here we'll look at techniques for dialing in…a favorable spill color that works with the comp,…not against it.…I'm gonna walk through this flow graph for you.…So let's push in here.…Starting at the top of course,…we have our original green screen.…Next is our obligatory Denoise.…
I'll clear that.…Following that is the despill operation.…Now, I'm using my Unspill node,…but you can use and despill operation you want.…The nice thing about the Unspill is…it allows you to dial in any spill color you want…and it produces the spill map in the alpha channel.…But doesn't matter, you can use any…spill operation you want.…The idea is, we take the original green screen…and subtract it from the despill plate to get the spill map.…
Next.…In this Shuffle node, we take the spill map,…which is in the green channel,…and we put it in all three channels.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nukewith Mark Lefitz2h 24m Intermediate
NUKE Compositing: Sci-Fi Force Fieldwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.