Join Steve Wright for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding edge detail with an additive keyer, part of VFX Keying: Master Course.
- [Narrator] The additive keyer is not actually a keyer.…It blends the green-screen or blue-screen…with the background, providing great edge detail.…Then the foreground is comped over this blended background.…There are many formulations for the additive keyer…so here I'll demonstrate one popular one.…Let's take a look at what the basic idea is here.…The idea is to blend the green-screen…with the background, like this.…That's the additive keyer.…Then we comp the foreground on top of that,…picking up all the extra-edge detail…that the additive keyer provided.…
Let's go back and take a look at how it works.…Here's our set-up.…I've got my original green-screen, of course.…Did our de-noise, and this is the the green-screen…that we're going to feed to the additive keyer.…Then we do our spill-suppression.…Here I've already got a key.…So how you do your spill, how you create your keys,…not important.…Then we do the premult.…So now we have the prepped foreground…which is de-spilled, has a key, and been pre-multiplied.…Let's take a look at how the additive keyer works.…
Note: This course was created by Steve Wright, author of the seminal book, Digital Compositing for Film and Video. We are proud to host this course in our library.
- Creating an uber key
- Keying green-screen vs. blue-screen footage
- Preprocessing footage
- Building a clean plate
- Making luma keys
- Keying on hue and saturation
- Pasting keys together
- Grain management
- Saving time with garbage mattes
- Using spill suppression
- Improving edges
- Color correcting keys
- Sweetening the comp
- Alternative compositing workflows
- Fixing edge problems
- Using KEYLIGHT, Primatte, Ultimatte, and other tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Compositing a Sci-Fi Force Field in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 12m Intermediate
Compositing an Alien Portal in NUKEwith Steve Wright2h 20m Intermediate
1. Keying Workflows
2. Pre-Processing the Green Screen
3. Other Types of Keys
4. Building the Uber Key
5. Spill Suppression
6. Compositing Techniques
7. Color Correcting
How to match grade two clips4m 15s
8. Workflow Examples
9. Sweetening the Comp
10. Fixing Edge Problems
11. Special Keying Solutions
12. Appendix: Keyer Tutorials
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.