You should always use the right tool for a job, and while document databases are great for some use cases, they are no fit for others. In this video, learn when to use or not use document databases.
- [Narrator] There are a lot of use cases…when using a document database can make your life easier,…but there are also cases when…you may be better off using a relational database.…Let's start with the use cases where you should…avoid document databases.…First of all, if your data is already highly structured,…maybe think of a tax system.…Also, if data integrity is key…and has to be enforced at any given time,…so your data has to be consistent…and it has to be always consistent.…
And here again consistency has to be enforced…on a database level.…So what would be good use cases for a document database?…The data is maybe unstructured or semistructured,…think about items in a shop,…or maybe some metrics you get from different kinds…of machines in a facility.…If high write performance is key,…so as document databases don't have so many constraints…when it comes to consistency,…they don't have to do so many checks…when they're writing data.…
And also, if you want to scale out.…So document databases again,…because they don't have to maintain the consistency…
- Basics of relational and nonrelational databases
- Preparing your environment
- When to use document databases
- Inserting data into MongoDB
- Basic insert operations for MongoDB
- Querying data from MongoDB with Node.js
- Using key-value stores
- Using relational databases with Node.js
- Adding MySQL and Sequelize to a project
Skill Level Intermediate
Node.js: Build Your First Microservicewith Daniel Khan2h 9m Intermediate
Building a Website with Node.js and Express.jswith Ray Villalobos3h 16m Intermediate
1. Get Started with Databases for Node.js
2. Prepare Your Environment
3. Use Document Databases with Node.js
4. Use Key-Value Stores with Node.js
5. Use Relational Databases with Node.js
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.