What are rooms and why use them?
- [Instructor] Welcome to the section…using rooms and namespaces in Socket.io.…In the last section we learned the basics…of connecting clients and then sending messages…in real time to the clients with Socket.io.…In this section we will add to that knowledge…by covering rooms and namespaces.…These are features of Socket.io to help segment…connected client.…Now in this video we're going to specifically cover rooms.…And we're gonna do that first.…So we will do this by covering the what and why,…and then finally we will create a simple room application.…
So let's get started.…First what are rooms?…A room is an area where we can group clients.…This is completely done on the server side.…The client does not know that they are in a room.…This allows us to treat that room…like its own little Socket.io area.…This means that we can listen, omit,…and broadcast to that room.…So why do this?…Well I think the easiest analogy to make…is a chat application.…I don't know if this is a current name,…but a few years back you could join a chat…
Note: This course was created by Packt Publishing. We are pleased to host this training in our library.
- Using Redis
- Structures, channels, and subscribing
- Adding messaging
- Integrating Redis and Node.js
- Working with geospacial indexes
- Using Node.js with Socket.IO
- Working with rooms
- Creating namespaces
- Using Socket.IO and Express
- Sharing states
- Using routes
Skill Level Intermediate
Building a Slack Bot with Node.js Microserviceswith Daniel Khan2h 9m Intermediate
RESTful Web API Design with Node.jswith Saleh Hamadeh2h 35m Intermediate
Building a Website with Node.js and Express.jswith Ray Villalobos3h 16m Intermediate
1. Using Redis
2. Redis Messaging
3. Integrating Redis and Node.js
4. Using Node.js and Socket.IO
5. Using Rooms and Namespaces in Socket.IO
6. Using Socket.IO and Express
Out of process messaging8m 20s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.