Learn the basics of Socket.IO, and discover how to use this real-time web library to set up a chat application with multiple rooms.
In this course we'll explore the basics of Socket.IO and build a chat application with multiple rooms. First, we'll create a base node server with Express and Socket.IO. Then we'll go through the basics of events, sockets, and continue building our chat application with these concepts. Next we'll introduce a namespace for our rooms, letting us build multiple room for users to join. So if you're ready to build your own chat application, fire up your favorite editor and let's get started.
- Coding the initial Express and Socket.IO server
- Coding front-end HTML
- Creating a chat with the emit function
- Setting up multiple rooms
- Coding new rooms within the namespace
- Setting up the Debug tool
- Emit cheatsheet