Compare three types of Node.js application testing: unit testing, which tests the smallest testable application; integration testing, which combines components together; and functional testing, which validates results against specifications.
- [Instructor] There are a number of…different ways to test software.…The most common techniques are unit testing,…integration testing, and functional testing.…Let's explore each in order as they build upon each other.…Before I define unit testing, it'd be good…to know what a unit is.…A unit is the smallest testable part of an application.…The size depends on how the application was built.…In a procedural application, it can be…an entire module or an individual function.…For object oriented applications, it can be…as big as an interface like a class…or more often an individual method.…
With that in mind, let's take a look at unit testing…which tests a completely isolated unit of code…via its application program interface.…Unit tests are performed in memory meaning…no permanent changes take place.…This makes them safe to run over and over again.…Additionally, unit tests execute very quickly…which makes them invaluable to development.…Unit tests are made up of assertions…which validate the correctness of a unit.…
- What is code quality?
- Testing and code quality fundamentals
- Coding conventions and standards
- Creating and enforcing coding standards
- Unit, integration, and functional testing
- Test-driven development test specificatons
- Behavior-driven development test specifications
- Finding errors with linting
- Extending an ESLint shareable config
- Validating correctness with unit testing
- Replacing and inspecting with stubs, spies, and mocks
- Code coverage and why it matters
- Coverage with continuous integration
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Testing and Code Quality Fundamentals
2. Finding Errors with Linting
3. Validating Correctness with Unit Testing
4. Replacing and Inspecting with Stubs, Spies, and Mocks
5. Reporting on Your Entire Codebase
Where to go from here?3m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.