Learn how REST APIs work over HTTP connections.
- [Instructor] Now that you understand…the basic structure of HTTP requests,…the next step is to look at REST web APIs…to understand how they leveraged this technology.…REST APIs are layered on top of HTTP…in order to allow a platform to provide…complete functionality while taking advantage…of an existing, mature technology.…First, I'll give you some background on…older web services, namely SOAP APIs.…Historically, many web APIs use…this action-based mechanism for client-server interaction.…
The server maintained a contract expressing…exactly what functionality could be accessed.…That contract included details on each command,…including what the requests and responses…would look like.…Each action was sent to a single endpoint,…and that endpoint processed the commands for the system.…So, in this model, the interactions were verbs,…things you could do with requests to the system,…rather than being associated with…specific system resources.…Because of the contract model, there was a lot of…overhead in making changes to the system.…
- Setting up the development environment
- Consuming an API using HTTPie
- Inspecting Mongo data
- Updating the server for MongoDB read functionality
- Setting up application endpoints
- Implementing user endpoints, progress endpoints, and promises
Skill Level Intermediate
Node.js: Build Your First Microservicewith Daniel Khan2h 9m Intermediate
Building a Website with Node.js and Express.jswith Ray Villalobos3h 16m Intermediate
1. API Fundamentals
2. Database Setup
3. Set Up the Fitbit API
4. Create the Progress API
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.