In this video, get a quick introduction to Express and its resources, such as exploring the API docs and the community resources.
- [Instructor] Express has become the standard in creating web applications with Node. And as we'll explore in this course, is a framework that provides many features we can use in our applications. So go to expressjs.com, and once you get to this page let's explore a little bit here. So basically if you want to get more information out of everything that we'll do in this course you can go to the guide in getting started and the API. So there's a lot of information here, so for example, if you want to use the Express generator you can go into this section here.
You can get a little bit more details of basic routing, static files, and also if you want to get the full references to the API, so we're going to use 4.x right now. You can click on here and get the full API reference here. So you can click on any of the APIs and see the methods. So for example here if you want to take a look at static files, you can click on Express.static. On the application side you can see all the methods that are available to the app and the request and the response.
And we'll explore a lot of these in this course. So obviously we're not going to explore all of them but enough to make you dangerous and be able to understand what's the rest on this here. So you can always go back to the reference and get a good understanding of what these other methods are for. Also, in the advanced topics there is things like template engines, security and best performance but we're not going to go in details into these things. We'll briefly go over them. If you want more details take a look at the Nodejs security courses and you'll get a little bit more details on that.
The resources are always a good place to go. So if you want to get with the community and get a little bit more help on something, you can go there. And if you also want to ask questions directly on the get help you have access to all these things on this particular page here. So this is a good reference for any of your needs and where to go when you have some issues. But the idea of this course is to make you good enough so you can actually create applications, web applications with Express and explore further with any advanced subjects.
So now that we have explored a bit let's get our hands dirty and move on.
- Creating a basic data endpoint
- Routing with Express
- Adding a static route for file serving
- Basic middleware with Express
- Built-in middleware and error-handling middleware
- Debugging in an Express application
- Security best practices with Express