The primary use of APIs is to connect applications. Learn about IFTTT, a great example of doing just that.
- [Instructor] In the previous video,…we looked at GitHub's API.…In this video, we are going to change focus…and look at If This Then That,…an application that uses APIs.…The primary purpose of APIs…is to connect different applications.…We'll see how IFTTT does just that using recipes.…Then we will create our own recipe.…To do that, we will select a trigger API and an action API.…To understand what an IFTTT recipe is,…it is best to look at some examples.…
This is an example of a recipe that tweets "Happy New Year"…on New Year's Eve.…It's trigger is a clock.…The action API is Twitter's API.…We need to connect to the IFTTT via OAuth…before we can enable this recipe.…This is a recipe that saves new Facebook photos…you are tagged in to Dropbox.…It uses Facebook as a trigger API…and Dropbox as the action API.…So, recipes automate tasks by connecting applications.…Let's try to create a recipe to see the true power of IFTTT.…
If you do not have an account,…please create one and sign in.…We'll click on My Recipes and Create a Recipe.…
This Node.js course gives you an overview of a RESTful API and the logical steps of creating one. It explores three different APIs, focusing on their similarities and differences and how to effectively implement one. Instructor Saleh Hamadeh starts off by defining APIs, showing how they can be built on top of HTTP and listing the properties that make an API RESTful. Learn how to develop Twitter Notes, a sample web application that lets users leave notes for their Twitter friends. Use Twitter's API to implement a login flow and then design a web API. Additionally, get a closer look at several other real-world APIs, and learn some best practices to keep APIs secure, maintainable, and efficient.
- Identifying REST resources
- Setting up the development environment
- Consuming a RESTful API
- Creating an OAuth login request
- Getting an access token
- Saving data in MongoDB
- Building a RESTful API
- Testing user-perceived performance
- Looking at APIs in the real world
- Best practices for building RESTful APIs