The primary use of APIs is to connect applications. We will look at IFTTT, the perfect example of doing just that.
- [Teacher] In the previous video, we looked GitHub's API.…In this video, we are going to change focus and look…at if this, then that, an application that uses APIs.…The primary purpose of APIs is to connect…different applications.…We will see how IFTTT does just that using recipes.…Then we will create our own recipe.…To do that, we will select a trigger API and an action API.…To understand what an IFTTT recipe is,…it is best to look at some examples.…
This is an example recipe that tweets Happy New Year…on New Year's Eve.…Its trigger is a clock.…The action API is Twitter's API.…We need to connect Twitter to IFTTT, via Oauth,…before we can enable this recipe.…This is a recipe that saves new Facebook photos…you are tagged in to Dropbox.…It uses Facebook as a trigger API…and Dropbox as the action API.…So recipes automate tasks by connecting applications.…Let's try to create a recipe to see the true power of IFTTT.…
If you do not have an account,…please create one and sign in.…We will click on My Recipes and create a recipe.…
This Node.js training course gives you an overview of a RESTful API and the logical steps of building one. It explores three different APIs, focusing on their similarities and differences to effectively implement one. Author Saleh Hamadeh starts off by defining APIs, showing how they can be built on top of HTTP and listing the properties that make an API RESTful. Then learn how to develop Twitter Notes, a sample web application that lets its users leave notes for their Twitter friends. You'll use Twitter's API to implement a login flow and then design a web API. In addition, you'll get a closer look at two other real-world APIs—Facebook API and GitHub API. Finally, learn some best practices to keep APIs secure, maintainable, and efficient.
- Identifying REST resources
- Setting up the development environment
- Consuming a RESTful API
- Creating an OAuth login request
- Getting an access token
- Saving data in MongoDB
- Building a RESTful API
- Looking at APIs in the real world
- Best practices for building RESTful APIs