Learn about key features of logging libraries, such as formatting, severity, performance, and routing, then apply those criteria to loggers like bunyan, debug, log4js, pino, and winston.
- [Instructor] When choosing a logging library,…there are a number of features that you should consider.…We'll start with how the log should be formatted.…For each log entry, what data points,…if any, will you include?…Do you need to customize your log format?…Do you need to use a standard…like the NCSA common log format?…What about writing structured data in formats like JSON?…There's the severity of a log entry.…Node's console supports two logging levels,…normal and error.…There's a pseudo warn that is also an error.…
In comparison, a common standard is RFC 5425,…which defines syslog severities,…including eight different severities.…Syslog severities start at debuging, the least severe,…then informational, notice, and warning.…Then we start getting into the error conditions,…escalating through critical, alert, and finally, emergency.…You don't need to memorize these,…but knowing the hierarchy and granularity…of severities in whatever system you're using is important.…
Log levels communicate meaning,…and here's some of the examples of how.…
- Building a troubleshooting mindset
- Why measure performance?
- What's a microservice architecture?
- Managing microservices with PM2
- Effective logging strategies
- Debugging Node.js applications
- Benchmarking performance
- Profiling code execution
- Knowing what to optimize
Skill Level Intermediate
Node.js: Deploying Applicationswith Kirsten Hunter1h 24m Intermediate
Building RESTful Web APIs with Node.js and Expresswith Emmanuel Henri1h 40m Intermediate
1. Build a Troubleshooting Mindset
2. Introducing Microservices
3. Effective Logging Strategies
4. Debugging Node.js Applications
Debugging isn't just logging3m 51s
5. Measuring Performance
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.