Scott discusses how to create a REST API. He begins with a model of the data. Then, he makes the routes to create, read, update, and delete (CRUD) the data. Once these resources are in place, the API can be created.
- What we're going to do is we're going to create an API…to consume some data about lions.…Internet cats.…First we should determine what the actual…resource looks like.…And we can model this in JSON.…When I say resource, I mean what does…the actual lion look like?…'Cause we're going to be making this thing…that consumes lions.…What does a lion object look like?…So we need to model that first.…I'm just going to show you what that looks like in JSON.…This is what our data's going to look like.…This is going to be an object that has a name property,…an ID property, a pride property,…where the lion pride belongs to,…and then a gender property.…
So that's what a lion looks like.…So this is us modeling our resource, or our data.…So that's the first step.…Everything is built around how your data is modeled.…So it's always good to start off modeling your data first,…because if you do that last,…you're going to run into some problems.…So definitely model your data first,…and know what your application's going to be working with,…
This course was created by Frontend Masters. It was originally released on 12/30/2015. We're pleased to host this training in our library.
- Executing Node.js
- Using Express
- What is middleware?
- Testing in Node.js
- Using Mongo with Node.js
- Data modeling
- Querying data with Mongoose
- Identifying sensitive routes
- Configuring the deployment
Skill Level Intermediate
Node.js: Build Your First Microservicewith Daniel Khan2h 9m Intermediate
Building APIs Using Hapi in Node.jswith Kirsten Hunter2h 23m Intermediate
Node.js: Extend and Maintain Applicationswith Daniel Khan3h 35m Intermediate
2. REST APIs
5. Organization and Configuration
7. Data Modeling
10. Securing Routes
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.