In addition to functioning as a server, NGINX can also be used as a reverse proxy or a load balancer. In this video, learn how reverse proxies and load balancers can allow you to connect to one or more back-end servers to improve the performance of your web service.
- [Instructor] We know that NGINX can be used…as a web server for static files…and as a platform for dynamic sites,…when paired with PHP and MySQL.…Now let's take a look at two other ways NGINX can be used,…as a reverse proxy and a load balancer.…I may refer to reverse proxy as just proxy,…but know that I'm referring to the same thing.…Proxies and load balancers provide very similar functions.…In both cases, a server running as a proxy…or load balancer sits between a client…and some resources that can fulfill requests…from the client.…
The client connects to the proxy or load balancer…on the front-end and then the proxy connects…to the server or resource on the back-end…and returns the response to the client.…With proxies and load balancers providing what looks like…a very similar function, you might be wondering…what's the difference between the two?…Let's take a closer look.…A reverse proxy applies…to the case where there's only one server on the back-end.…This could be a web application implemented…in Python or Node.js, for example.…
- Installing NGINX on Linux
- Configuring a virtual host
- Installing PHP and MariaDB for the LEMP stack
- Securing sites with NGINX
- Creating SSL certificates
- Reverse proxies
- Load balancing
Skill Level Intermediate
DevOps Foundations: Infrastructure as Codewith Ernest Mueller2h 6m Intermediate
1. Install and Configure NGINX
2. The Linux, NGINX, MySQL, and PHP Stack
3. NGINX Security
4. Reverse Proxies and Load Balancers
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.