In this video, explore the different types of transceivers and how they are specified as vendor-neutral devices.
- The big challenge that you run into…when you start using fiber ethernet…is that you don't have one physical standard…when it comes to connection.…When we're using copper, it's pretty much always RJ45.…So I don't care if it's 10 based T or one gig…you're still gonna using that…same type of physical connections.…Now, with fiber they don't specify that…and it's a smart idea because…there's a lot of different ways to make fiber connections…and we've got an entire episode that goes over things like…ST and SC and LC and MTRJ type connectors.…
But imagine you're in a situation…where you're buying some new switches and…if we were fixed on only one type of connector…we would have a real problem…because I would have to build a switch that would be…one version of switch that had ST connectors in it,…another switch that had SC connectors in it,…and another switch that had LC and all this.…The exact same switch, so, to get around this problem…the guys who make switches got together…Cisco and Netgear and all these people,…
- Network topologies
- Fire ratings
- Ethernet basics
- Hubs vs. switches
- 100BASE-T, gigabit, and 10-gigabit Ethernet
- Installing structured cabling
- Testing cable
- Locating cables and connectors with a toner and probe
- Wired connections
Skill Level Beginner
1. Cabling and Topology
2. Ethernet Basics
3. Modern Ethernet
4. Installing a Physical Network
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.