Mike explains how to connect to and configure managed switches.
- In a more basic world, it's fairly easy…to separate routers from switches.…Routers are going to filter and forward traffic…based on layer three of the OSI…seven layer model, IP addresses,…and switches use layer, too, MAC addresses.…Well, the problem that we're starting to run into,…especially if you've been keeping up…on an episode by episode basis,…is that we're beginning to discover that,…the whole idea between what switches can do…and what routers can do begins to be a little bit fuzzy.…So one of the things that we need to begin to appreciate…is that we have to be able to go in and configure switches.…
Now, the challenge here is that,…if you've been watching previous episodes,…you can appreciate that for the most part,…somehow you know a magic IP address,…and you plug in, you type that IP address…into your web browser and you get some kind…of magic configuration screen, and generally that's true.…However, for the Network Plus,…we need to look at some other alternatives,…and probably the best place to start…
We are a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Making secure connections through tunnels
- InterVLAN routing
- Port bonding and port mirroring
- IDS vs. IPS
- Routing and switching with IPv6
- Packet switching
- ISDN and BPL
- Remote desktop connectivity
Skill Level Beginner
1. Advanced Networking Devices
Virtual private networks (VPNs)12m 41s
Introduction to VLANs11m 48s
InterVLAN routing3m 6s
Interface with managed switches10m 59s
Switch port protection6m 37s
Port bonding7m 11s
Port mirroring3m 29s
Quality of service5m 7s
IDS vs. IPS4m 25s
Proxy servers12m 41s
Load balancing8m 29s
Device placement scenarios12m 50s
3. Remote Connectivity
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.