Mike walks down memory lane, explaining how modems and PPP enable dial-up connectivity.
- I love the CompTIA Network+ exam,…it's one of my favorite certifications there are.…However, there's a few topics on there…I'm not a big fan of, and this is one of them.…It's dial-up.…Using your old, plain old telephone service, your POTS…or your publicly switched telephone network, PSTN,…to connect to the internet.…Now, don't get me wrong.…I lived on dial-up for many, many years.…But we have newer technologies now, cable and DSL…fiber.…
Heck, even my iPhone just automatically connects…to the internet.…That makes dial-up kind of a bit of a dated technology.…However, it's on the test.…So let's give it some quick coverage.…I was actually have to laugh, my sound person…was looking at my modem right here…and going wow, I've never seen one before.…So, come back to the old days with Grandpappy Mike…and let's talk about dial-up!…It all starts right here.…This is an external modem.…Now if you take a look at this modem,…you're gonna see it's got three connections…that are important.…
One of these connects to your telephone outlet,…
We are a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Making secure connections through tunnels
- InterVLAN routing
- Port bonding and port mirroring
- IDS vs. IPS
- Routing and switching with IPv6
- Packet switching
- ISDN and BPL
- Remote desktop connectivity
Skill Level Beginner
1. Advanced Networking Devices
Virtual private networks (VPNs)12m 41s
Introduction to VLANs11m 48s
InterVLAN routing3m 6s
Interface with managed switches10m 59s
Switch port protection6m 37s
Port bonding7m 11s
Port mirroring3m 29s
Quality of service5m 7s
IDS vs. IPS4m 25s
Proxy servers12m 41s
Load balancing8m 29s
Device placement scenarios12m 50s
3. Remote Connectivity
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.