Mike explores cable modems, one of the most common high-speed connection types.
- If you are to ask me,…Mike, what type of Internet connection should I make…for my house or small office?…I've got one answer for ya.…It's cable.…Cable does a great job for me,…and I've been extremely pleased over…the many, many, gosh, almost can say decades,…but I'd still say just a little over a decade…of happy cable modem use.…Now, you need to appreciate where cable modem comes from.…It comes from the cable companies.…And it was very funny when cable first came out,…because it was almost like asking your plumber…to be a chef.…
I mean, we just couldn't put that together in our heads…that the same people who were giving us HBO…were now suddenly giving us Internet connectivity.…Well, now it's pretty much ubiquitous.…Everybody likes it and everybody uses it.…So, the big piece that we're dealing with…when it comes to cable is this guy right here.…So, this is the back end of my cable modem.…Notice I've got an RJ45 that leads…to my network over here.…And then I've got a cable connection,…and that's a F type screw-in connection there.…
We are a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Making secure connections through tunnels
- InterVLAN routing
- Port bonding and port mirroring
- IDS vs. IPS
- Routing and switching with IPv6
- Packet switching
- ISDN and BPL
- Remote desktop connectivity
Skill Level Beginner
1. Advanced Networking Devices
Virtual private networks (VPNs)12m 41s
Introduction to VLANs11m 48s
InterVLAN routing3m 6s
Interface with managed switches10m 59s
Switch port protection6m 37s
Port bonding7m 11s
Port mirroring3m 29s
Quality of service5m 7s
IDS vs. IPS4m 25s
Proxy servers12m 41s
Load balancing8m 29s
Device placement scenarios12m 50s
3. Remote Connectivity
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.