Todd Lammle provides an overview of stateless and stateful autoconfiguration used wtih IPv6. You must understand how the EUI-64 addressing is used, and this video will provide that, as well as what DHCPv6 provides to hosts. Understanding this is critical to your studies for the CCENT objectives.
- [Narrator] Let's talk about stateless…and stateful configuration.…Both of them provide an autoconfiguration feature.…Stateless autoconfiguration is a specially useful…solution because it allows devices on a network…to adjust themselves with a link-local unicast address…as well as with a global unicast address.…This process happens through first learning…the prefix from a router and then appending…the devices own interface address as the interface ID.…So where does it get that interface ID?…Well, from the MAC address.…
However, I know what you're thinking.…A MAC address is only 48 bits long…and I needs 64 bits for the address.…So what we're going to do is add 16 bits in the middle…of it with an FFFE.…So stateless autoconfiguration uses neighbor discovery…to find routers and dynamically create IPv6 addresses.…Stateful autoconfiguration uses a DHCPv6 server…to assign IPv6 addresses and more parameters.…
The reality is in production, you're going to use…a combination of both.…There is no reason not to allow the host to autoconfigure…
For more information on the CCENT exam, visit Cisco's website.
- Overview of internetworking
- The TCP/IP networking model
- Easy subnetting
- Managing Cisco IOS
- Managing Cisco networks and devices
- IP routing
- Layer 2 switching
- VLANs and InterVLAN routing
- Network address translation
Skill Level Intermediate
Internetworking devices4m 20s
3. Introduction to TCP/IP
4. Easy Subnetting
5. VLSM, Summarization, and Troubleshooting TCP/IP
6. Cisco Internetworking Operating System (IOS)
7. Managing a Cisco Internetwork
8. IP Routing
9. Layer 2 Switching
10. VLANs and InterVLAN Routing (IVR)
12. Network Address Translation (NAT)
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.