This short but important video covers Internet Control Message Protocol version 6 (ICMPv6), which is absolutely needed in your understanding of the Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT) exam objectives. Watch this video to build your foundation.
- [Narrator] IPv4 used the ICMP workhorse for lots of tasks,…including error messages like Destination Unreachable…and troubleshooting functions…used with Ping and Traceroute.…ICMPv6 still does those things for us,…but unlike it's predecessor,…the v6 flavor isn't implemented as a separate…layer 3 protocol.…Instead, it's an integral part of the IPv6…and is carried after the basic IPv6 header information…as an extension header.…And, ICMPv6 gives us another really cool feature.…
By default it prevents IPv6 from doing any fragmentation…through an ICMPv6 process called MTU Discovery.…ICMP provides diagnostics, with Echo and Echo Reply,…commonly referred to as Ping.…It also provides Router Discovery, Router Solicitation,…Router Advertisements.…This is how hosts find their prefix,…so they can assign their address.…How they find their default gateways,…and Neighbor Discovery, Neighbor Solicitation,…Neighbor Advertisements.…
We replace ARP, from IPv4, with a form of ICMPv6.…We still have to get the MAC address.…So, in this case here,…
For more information on the CCENT exam, visit Cisco's website.
- Overview of internetworking
- The TCP/IP networking model
- Easy subnetting
- Managing Cisco IOS
- Managing Cisco networks and devices
- IP routing
- Layer 2 switching
- VLANs and InterVLAN routing
- Network address translation
Skill Level Intermediate
Internetworking devices4m 20s
3. Introduction to TCP/IP
4. Easy Subnetting
5. VLSM, Summarization, and Troubleshooting TCP/IP
6. Cisco Internetworking Operating System (IOS)
7. Managing a Cisco Internetwork
8. IP Routing
9. Layer 2 Switching
10. VLANs and InterVLAN Routing (IVR)
12. Network Address Translation (NAT)
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.