In this video, Todd Lammle provides some examples on how to find the subnet address, the broadcast address, as well as the valid host range of each subnet by using his block size method. It's easy and fast! You must be able to subnet quickly and efficiently in order to pass any Cisco certification exam.
- [Voiceover] Now that we understand how to subnet…using block sizes, it takes practice to get this down,…so let's take a look at what we have here.…Looking at this graphic you can see that…I have two host addresses, both using a /25,…which is a 255.255.255.128 mask.…These are Class C.…192, 168, 10, are my networks.…So now my host ID's are 68 and 168.…I'm subnetting in the fourth octet,…a 128 is a block size of 128 so my subnets are zero,…and 128 in the fourth octet.…
The number right before 128 is 127…so I'll put that below the zero.…My valid hosts are one to 126.…I can see that this host is in the zero subnet.…128 plus 128 is 256, so the number right before that…is my broadcast address so the last subnet or 255.…My valid host ranges are 129 to 254.…And that puts this host directly into the 128 subnet.…Let's take a look at another example in this graphic.…Same IP addresses actually, 192.168.10.68 and 168,…but I'm using a different mask, /26,…which is a 255.255.255.192.…
All right? So, again, I'm going to just look…
For more information on the CCENT exam, visit Cisco's website.
- Overview of internetworking
- The TCP/IP networking model
- Easy subnetting
- Managing Cisco IOS
- Managing Cisco networks and devices
- IP routing
- Layer 2 switching
- VLANs and InterVLAN routing
- Network address translation
Skill Level Intermediate
Internetworking devices4m 20s
3. Introduction to TCP/IP
4. Easy Subnetting
5. VLSM, Summarization, and Troubleshooting TCP/IP
6. Cisco Internetworking Operating System (IOS)
7. Managing a Cisco Internetwork
8. IP Routing
9. Layer 2 Switching
10. VLANs and InterVLAN Routing (IVR)
12. Network Address Translation (NAT)
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.