In this video, Todd Lammle will demonstrate how easy and effective it can be to use a router to perform InterVLAN routing in a small network. We'd opt to use a router on a stick if we didn't have an enterprise switch that can perform layer 3 routing. By configuring subinterfaces on the router port, one for each VLAN, and then trunking the switch port connecting the switch to the router, IVR can easily be configured and used on your internetwork.
- [Instructor] Now that we have our…access ports configured with our VLANs,…for VLANs 10 and 11, and our links…between switches configured as dot1q trunks,…we're gonna go ahead and now configure…routing, or inter-VLAN routing,…and I'm gonna use a router, or router on a stick.…I'm going to trunk that link off of f0/1,…port f0/1, off of switch one,…going to f0/0 of the IVR router,…and then create a sub-interface,…one for each VLAN on the IVR router.…Let's run out to the switch and start with that.…
I'm gonna log in here,…and I just need to trunk that one port.…So, all I have to do on the switch,…trunk the port going to the router.…Switchport trunk encap dot1q.…Switchport mode trunk.…I'm done!…I'm done on the switch. Easy.…Don't trunk a router; you trunk the switch.…Now I'm gonna go out to my IVR router and configure that.…
Okay, and config t, interface f0/0.…Now I'm gonna put an IP address for our management,…which is the 192.168.50.…That's the default gateway I used on all the switches,…isn't it?…It's untagged, so I'm not gonna…
For more information on the CCENT exam, visit Cisco's website.
- Overview of internetworking
- The TCP/IP networking model
- Easy subnetting
- Managing Cisco IOS
- Managing Cisco networks and devices
- IP routing
- Layer 2 switching
- VLANs and InterVLAN routing
- Network address translation
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Cisco CLI Router Configurationwith Denise Allen-Hoyt1h 38m Intermediate
Internetworking devices4m 20s
3. Introduction to TCP/IP
4. Easy Subnetting
5. VLSM, Summarization, and Troubleshooting TCP/IP
6. Cisco Internetworking Operating System (IOS)
7. Managing a Cisco Internetwork
8. IP Routing
9. Layer 2 Switching
10. VLANs and InterVLAN Routing (IVR)
12. Network Address Translation (NAT)
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.