In this video, Todd Lammle shows you how to set up the basic administrative functions on a Cisco router and switch. By configuring the hostname, banner, interface descriptions, and passwords, and encrypting your passwords, you'll be able to troubleshoot your network more easily as well as secure your Cisco router or switch.
- [Narrator] Now that we understand the difference between…user mode and privilege mode,…let's go ahead and jump into privilege mode.…So enable, I hit the tab key,…typically just do it short with en.…Okay from here our goal is in this section…is to configure our administrative functions,…which'll help us to do a couple things.…One of 'em is to be able to troubleshoot.…Let me give you an example.…So I go up, run into global config…if I did not change the default host name…on my routers and switches,…everything would be router and switch.…
It would be very difficult to troubleshoot…at that point, right?…So a host name corp is where we're at,…and the next thing or the last thing…it'll do in this section…is actually security this will give us,…and that'd be by setting our passwords,…but in the mean time let's also…set our banner, this stands for message of the day.…This is my corp router.…So if anyone logs into this router…or into a switch, either way,…they will see the banner that you created.…Typically you're gonna say…
For more information on the CCENT exam, visit Cisco's website.
- Overview of internetworking
- The TCP/IP networking model
- Easy subnetting
- Managing Cisco IOS
- Managing Cisco networks and devices
- IP routing
- Layer 2 switching
- VLANs and InterVLAN routing
- Network address translation
Skill Level Intermediate
Internetworking devices4m 20s
3. Introduction to TCP/IP
4. Easy Subnetting
5. VLSM, Summarization, and Troubleshooting TCP/IP
6. Cisco Internetworking Operating System (IOS)
7. Managing a Cisco Internetwork
8. IP Routing
9. Layer 2 Switching
10. VLANs and InterVLAN Routing (IVR)
12. Network Address Translation (NAT)
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.