Follow the staff instructor through setting up offline viewing on iOS, Windows tablet, and Mac desktop apps. See how to view Lynda.com content offline.
- [Narrator] Downloading Lynda.com content for offline viewing is an incredible way to enjoy learning anytime, anywhere, on any device. There are several options to download apps. We have iOS, Android, Windows, Desktop, Roku, and Apple TV. In this video, we'll take a look at the Lynda.com app for Desktop on Mac, the Windows tablet, and iOS mobile. To download and view more information on these apps, either scroll to the footer and select which app you'd like, or go to www.lynda.com/apps.
From here choose the device you want to download the app for. If you choose a mobile device you can also use your device to scan this QR code which will take you directly to the store that you can download your app from. I'm going to choose the Desktop app, and I'm going to download from the Apple store since I'm using a Mac. I'll click Install. You can install the app for free, but only premium members will be able to download content for offline viewing.
You'll probably have to enter your Apple ID and password, and once you've done that you can click Open. And now I'm on the Lynda.com app, and I can see that I have one downloaded course here. I'm going to show you quickly how to download the courses from Lynda.com. I'll go back to my Lynda.com homepage and I'll select the course that I want to download. I'm going to press Pause, and I'll choose this View Offline.
I'm going to click Start the Download, yes, I want this page to open on Lynda.com, and now back on my app it's downloading the course here. I have the option to pause the download if I want to, and once I have a download I also have the option to delete it by clicking this Delete button. Delete this course, yes, delete. And now when I'm not connected online I can select this video and play it directly from my app.
- It's time to take a step forward and deepen our understanding of the framework-- - [Narrator] So when you're connected online you can choose which content you'd like to download, and then when you go offline and you use the app you can watch the content that you've downloaded. Note that on any other device the download button may look slightly different and may be located next to the course name or video title. So let's take a look at my Windows tablet device. After I've installed the Lynda.com app when I find the course I want to download I'll go to the course page, I'll select the Download button up above the Table of Contents.
I have the option to manage my downloads by downloading individual videos or the entire course. Clicking on the little arrows next to the video titles will download just those videos. If I want to download the entire course I would select the Download All button at the bottom. The yellow arrows indicate that the video has been downloaded. If for any reason I want to remove that download, I'll select the Trash icon next to the arrow to remove it.
Now when I go to My Downloads by first selecting the Menu option, then under My Courses, Downloads, from the Downloads page I can select the course I'm going to watch, I'll go into Airplane Mode turning off my WiFi signal, and the video will play offline. Switching over to my iOS mobile device, after I've installed the Lynda.com app, when I find the course I want to watch I'll click it to go to the course page.
Again, I can download individual videos by clicking on the little yellow arrows. It may take some time to download depending on the length of the video. I can also download the entire course by going up to the top of the screen and selecting the Download button, and selecting Download Entire Course from this popup window. When the download is complete the yellow arrow will disappear and a little phone icon will appear.
To delete a download, I'll swipe to the left and select Delete, which will remove that downloaded video. Now going back to my main page I'll select Back, then Done, then the Menu screen, which is the three little lines, and from the menu I'll select Downloads. Choose the course I want to watch offline, then I'll swipe up to turn Airplane Mode on disabling the WiFi signal, and now I can watch my downloads offline.
In areas where internet connection is slow or non-existent, having downloaded content to still watch when offline or in Airplane Mode will allow you to continue learning no matter where you are, for example at the gym, during your commute, or on an airplane. Offline viewing is available anytime, anywhere, and we hope you can take advantage of it so that your learning will have no limits.
First, find out about the types of videos we offer at Lynda.com, including in-depth software training, first looks at up-and-coming technology trends, courses to help you develop critical business skills, techniques for creative pros, and inspirational documentaries. Then get a demo of special library features such as bookmarks, playlists, notes, transcripts, certificates of completion, and FAQs, and learn where to turn for help when you need it. Plus, find out how to access Lynda.com on the go, using our mobile apps and offline viewing capabilities.
- Choosing a membership plan
- Finding the latest releases
- Downloading and using exercise files
- Searching the video transcripts
- Choosing the right video player
- Creating and sharing playlists
- Taking notes
- Printing and sharing certificates of completion
- Updating your member profile
- Changing or canceling your membership plan
- Contacting customer support