See how to bookmark a video within a course and where to find those bookmarks. When browsing through bookmarks, there is the option to organize them. This video shows you how.
- [Instructor] Let's take a look at the bookmarking feature. As a lynda.com member, you can use the bookmarks feature to mark any individual videos within a course, allowing you to easily find them again later. First let's take a look at how we can create bookmarks. Once I'm watching a course, here on the course page, as I scroll down the table of contents, I see these bookmark icons next to each video title. So, as I'm watching videos and I come across ones that I want to remember and keep track of, I can just click the bookmark icon next to that video title, and that will save that video in the list of bookmarks for me.
Notice the icon fills in white when I'm currently watching that video title, but as I skip to another video title, you'll see that it's blue, indicating that it has been bookmarked, and if I bookmark this one, as I'm watching that video, it'll turn white. I'm just going to mute this for now. So adding bookmarks is pretty simple. It's as easy as clicking the icon next to the video title, but when browsing through your bookmarks later, you might not remember why you bookmarked a particular video, so let's take a look at the bookmark list and how we can organize it.
I'll roll my mouse over my profile, and select Bookmarks. Here we can see the list of bookmarks that I've already created. You'll see each bookmark has the video title, the chapter title, the course name, and the author name. Clicking on a video title will take me to that course's homepage, and it will automatically load up the video that I had bookmarked. Going back to the Bookmarks page.
Clicking on the author's name will take me to that author's page. And again, going back to the Bookmarks page. I can add details to my bookmarks and edit them to give them some more context as to why I have bookmarked them. So, I'll click the edit button, and by default the title of the video is the name of the bookmark. So I might want to shorten that, or I can change it to any name I want to help me remember why I bookmarked it.
I can also add a description. I can use up to 300 characters in this description field. Then I also suggest adding tags. Just add a space to separate your tags, and if you have a tag with two words, put it in quotations. When you're finished, click Update. You'll see these little tags appear here. Now I have the description and the tags, and they are associated with that bookmark.
So clicking on any tag will display all the bookmarks that share that tag. I can continue filtering my results here by clicking additional tags, or I can remove them by clicking this little minus sign up at the top. To see all of my bookmarked tags, I can click See all of Tags, and this will give me the longer list of all of my bookmarked tags. If you have a very long list here, you can just click on one of these letters up at the top to jump to that letter.
To return to all of my bookmarks, I can click this return to my bookmarks breadcrumb here, and go back to my bookmarks page. I can also use the search field up here at the top to locate a specific bookmark by typing any information that's related to it, and then clicking search. Finally, to remove a bookmark that's no longer needed, I can click the delete button here next to the edit button. Click yes, delete to confirm, and that will delete the bookmark. But just remember that deleting bookmarks cannot be undone.
So be sure you really want to delete them before you do so. And, that's how to create and edit video bookmarks. It's a great feature for sorting and organizing the important information you learn and want to keep track of while watching content.
First, find out about the types of videos we offer at Lynda.com, including in-depth software training, first looks at up-and-coming technology trends, courses to help you develop critical business skills, techniques for creative pros, and inspirational documentaries. Then get a demo of special library features such as bookmarks, playlists, notes, transcripts, certificates of completion, and FAQs, and learn where to turn for help when you need it. Plus, find out how to access Lynda.com on the go, using our mobile apps and offline viewing capabilities.
- Choosing a membership plan
- Finding the latest releases
- Downloading and using exercise files
- Searching the video transcripts
- Choosing the right video player
- Creating and sharing playlists
- Taking notes
- Printing and sharing certificates of completion
- Updating your member profile
- Changing or canceling your membership plan
- Contacting customer support