Learn the fundamentals of working with browser cookies and cookie data in PHP.
- [Instructor] In this chapter,…we're going to be learning about how to work with cookies…and sessions in PHP.…This is an important topic because…cookies and sessions are going to allow us to store data,…but more importantly, they're going to be the tools…that enable us to perform authorization,…or user logins, in the next chapter.…So let's start by talking about cookies…and learn how those work.…You're probably familiar with cookies,…at least a little bit.…A cookie is a small string of data that's…stored by the user's web browser.…And the best way to understand cookies…is to watch them in action.…
So, the process begins when a user's web browser…sends a request to a web server.…And that request would include a header…that looks something like this.…This is a simplified version,…but you can see that it's sending a request to fakesite.com…and it's requesting the page first.php.…Nothing special about that,…but that's what starts the process.…Then, when the web server responds back to the browser,…it sends back a response.…
- Creating a content management system
- Building dynamic content navigation
- Using context and function options for conditional behavior
- Hiding content from the public view
- Insecure direct object reference
- Allowing HTML in dynamic content
- Previewing content in the public context
- Working with cookies and sessions
- Storing status messages in the session
- Secure user authentication (login/logout)
- Regulating page access
- Nesting related resources
- Managing an ordered list automatically
Skill Level Beginner
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
MVC Frameworks for Building PHP Web Applicationswith Drew Falkman2h 57m Intermediate
1. Create a Content Management System
2. Build Dynamic Content Navigation
3. Use Context and Options
4. Cookies and Sessions
5. Regulate Page Access
6. Nesting Related Resources
Next steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.