Join Brad Wheeler for an in-depth discussion in this video Searching a database, part of Database Clinic: MySQL.
- Our next challenge involves a needle and a haystack.…Search is arguably the most…important function of any database.…Combing a vast haystack of data…for a specific needle of information…is one of the most common computing tasks.…Google alone processes over 40,000 searches every second.…That's almost a million searches since I started talking.…If you're only combing a 30 line spread sheet,…search can be pretty easy.…In fact, it might be just as easy…to browse around as it is to use the find dialog.…
Unfortunately, many databases are large.…Containing terabytes or petabytes of information.…It wouldn't be practical to page through the data,…looking for a specific value.…Likewise, searches can be complex.…It's one thing to look for a known number…but it's more difficult to look for something,…like say the highest salary of dog walkers…in states with rainfall higher than the national average.…That kind of complex search requires a database…with a sophisticated query language.…
Structured query language or SQL,…is the most common but there are others.…
- Strengths and weaknesses of MySQL
- Creating a database
- Joining data sets
- Integrating Python with MySQL
- Searching a database
- CRUD operations
- Performing calculations
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Data and MySQL in under Five Minutes
2. Create a Database
3. Join Two Datasets
4. Search a Database
Searching a database1m 51s
5. Create, Read, Update, and Delete Operations
6. Averages and Calculations
Next steps1m 1s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.