Learn to use two built-in PHP password functions, password_hash and password_verify, to make it easy to create secure logins that follow best security practices.
- [Instructor] In this movie, we're going to learn…how to encrypt passwords with PHP.…Most important rule about passwords…is never store them as plain text in the database.…You always want to encrypt them.…If they're in plain text,…then anyone with access to the database…would have access to every user's password.…That could be hackers who are stealing your database…or it could be authorized users such as site administrators…or employees who have database access.…They would all have the potential…to know all users' passwords.…Even a database backup that your ISP makes for you…or a hard drive that doesn't get completely wiped…before being sold or discarded…has serious potential for leaking passwords.…
And it's not just theoretical.…This happens all the time.…When it happens, it's not just your site security…you put at risk, because many users use the same username…and password on multiple sites.…So if you disclose their password on your site,…chances are you've now given away their password…on another site somewhere else.…
- Creating a content management system
- Building dynamic content navigation
- Using context and function options for conditional behavior
- Hiding content from the public view
- Insecure direct object reference
- Allowing HTML in dynamic content
- Previewing content in the public context
- Working with cookies and sessions
- Storing status messages in the session
- Secure user authentication (login/logout)
- Regulating page access
- Nesting related resources
- Managing an ordered list automatically
Skill Level Beginner
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
MVC Frameworks for Building PHP Web Applicationswith Drew Falkman2h 57m Intermediate
1. Create a Content Management System
2. Build Dynamic Content Navigation
3. Use Context and Options
4. Cookies and Sessions
5. Regulate Page Access
6. Nesting Related Resources
Next steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.