Calculations in MySQL are relatively simple—the hard part is designing queries to find the data to calculate on. You now know how to use subqueries and joins on unlike columns to find the population data you needed to calculate. You can also now use SUM and ROUND to process that data in the final query.
- [Instructor] This challenge brought together…a lot of the things that we've tackled…in previous challenges.…We had to format and import raw data,…insert values into tables,…perform subqueries, and do math.…I showed just one very simple way…of tackling this challenge.…There are many others of varying degrees of complexity…and accuracy.…In fact, when I was working on this challenge initially,…I'd solved it in such a way that the query…took almost two hours to run.…My final answer, as you saw, just took a few seconds.…There's never just one right way…of dealing with these types of data analysis questions.…
I hope that now that you've seen…how the different database operations are put together…that you'll have the tools you need…to find your own answers to the data challenges…that you have to confront.…The ability to join data across unlike fields…using either static values or conditional ones…is extremely powerful.…As long as you understand the types of data…that are likely to be in the columns you're joining on,…
- Strengths and weaknesses of MySQL
- Creating a database
- Joining data sets
- Integrating Python with MySQL
- Searching a database
- CRUD operations
- Performing calculations
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Data and MySQL in under Five Minutes
2. Create a Database
3. Join Two Datasets
4. Search a Database
Searching a database1m 51s
5. Create, Read, Update, and Delete Operations
6. Averages and Calculations
Next steps1m 1s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.