In Part 2 of this lesson, Mike teaches the classic fiddle tune of Worried Man Blues. Mike breaks the song down bar by dar and explains the chords used and the melody line for the song. Backing tracks and practice sheets are available.
- So sometimes the pattern is just holding one note…but sometimes you're changing notes…in the middle of the pattern.…That's probably the most complicated part about this.…(plays mandolin)…Change. Even though you're in the middle.…New pattern.…For the whole note.…Then, new pattern, change, new pattern.…Now the chord change is to a D chord.…(plays mandolin)…And back to an A.…
So during the D chord, I'm holding the fourth fret…and fifth fret on the middle two strings.…And I'm letting the E string ring open.…Even though it's not part of the D chord,…I love the kind of bright, sparkly feeling of that E.…It's the second note in the D scale…ringing out through this.…It's just charming sounding.…It's not atonal or anything.…(plays mandolin)…So all of the melody notes happen between the fourth fret…and the seventh fret.…
♫ Takes a worried man…♫ to sing a worried song ♫…It might help to hear the vocal…that's happening at that moment.…We're not playing ♫ Takes a worried man…to sing a worried song ♫…Kind of simplified the melody to become…
This course is part two of the Mandolin Lessons series, which includes hundreds of lessons, exclusive performances, and special guest interviews. Make sure to check out the exercise files for downloadable tab, audio samples, and other study materials.
Note: This course was created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Adjusting your action
- Changing strings and tuning the mandolin
- Playing a 1-6-2-5 progression
- Understanding moveable chords
- Practicing mandolin
- Playing blues on the mandolin
- Playing kickoffs
Skill Level Beginner
1. Gear and Setup
2. More Fun with Theory
3. Intermediate Mandolin Tunes
5. The Blues
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.