Mike breaks down what target notes are in this lesson, with the example of the tune "Liberty". Mike defines targets notes as the most important notes in the melody. Breaking down melodies into target notes gives you the opportunity to expand and embellish the song.
- Let's now take a look at "Liberty" and try…to do some of the same concepts.…Nice, simple little fiddle tune. (plays mandolin)…But it can be so much more.…Another concept to always keep in mind is what is the chord…that's happening at the moment that you are in?…So, from the beginning, we're in D on this "Liberty."…(plays Mandolin) D chord. This is all D.…
And this is now G.…And now this is back to D.…And now A…and back to D.…So whatever variations we do, for instance…what's really hip about a tune like this is…you can throw in arpeggios of the D chord…So instead of (plays mandolin), you can simply fill it out…And that's a D arpeggio.…
Those are simply the notes of the D chord.…F-sharp, D,…and A.…(plays mandolin)…Now it's a G chord.…So there's the notes of the G chord…the G, the D, and the B.…And you're just outlining it.…(plays mandolin)…Now, turnaround…can be many things.…
I'm just gonna do a bunch of turnarounds.…(plays mandolin)…Okay, so that's the A section of "Liberty."…Let's go to the B section now.…(plays mandolin)…
This course is part two of the Mandolin Lessons series, which includes hundreds of lessons, exclusive performances, and special guest interviews. Make sure to check out the exercise files for downloadable tab, audio samples, and other study materials.
Note: This course was created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Adjusting your action
- Changing strings and tuning the mandolin
- Playing a 1-6-2-5 progression
- Understanding moveable chords
- Practicing mandolin
- Playing blues on the mandolin
- Playing kickoffs
Skill Level Beginner
1. Gear and Setup
2. More Fun with Theory
3. Intermediate Mandolin Tunes
5. The Blues
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.