Mike Marshall goes over turnaround licks in this lesson. He describes these licks as occurring at the end of a measure when the tune is on the 1, then goes to the 5, and then back to the 1. There are multiple variations that Mike gives that helps illustrate the concept.
- Okay, as we start to think about soloing,…another thing to think about is your turnaround licks.…These happen in almost every tune in bluegrass,…and it's that moment in the end of phrase,…end of a verse, end of a chorus,…where typically the chords are one,…five,…one.…Sometimes they happen quicker,…one,…five,…one,…or sometimes it's,…five... one.…
But it's that moment harmonically where the chord…changes are coming back to one.…Going back to home.…And if we look at a tune like Salt Creek,…which we just spent some time on,…it's this moment,…okay,…da, da, da, da, da, da, da, E, E, A…and so that's the moment where, sort of, the most…creative juice can happen.…
So I'm gonna just look at that one moment in this piece,…for instance, we'll play the melody, real straight.…("Salt Creek")…So that's it,…and what I'm gonna do is I'm gonna give you…a whole bunch of ways of dealing with that sort…of moment in the musical structure of that tune.…
So, what I just played,…here's another one,…here's another,…I use the C natural that time,…giving it kind of a bluesy effect.…
This course is part two of the Mandolin Lessons series, which includes hundreds of lessons, exclusive performances, and special guest interviews. Make sure to check out the exercise files for downloadable tab, audio samples, and other study materials.
Note: This course was created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Adjusting your action
- Changing strings and tuning the mandolin
- Playing a 1-6-2-5 progression
- Understanding moveable chords
- Practicing mandolin
- Playing blues on the mandolin
- Playing kickoffs
Skill Level Beginner
1. Gear and Setup
2. More Fun with Theory
3. Intermediate Mandolin Tunes
5. The Blues
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.