This video shows the raw process of Mike Marshall tuning his mandolin. How long it takes, how he warms up the strings, and the process of getting the two strings for each note in tune with each other on all four sets of strings.
- Okay, we're gonna talk about tuning the mandolin now…and somebody once said that if you play the mandolin…for 30 years, you tune it for 15…and you play out of tune for 15…but it's true, it takes a lot to tune…a mandolin and get it really right.…As I said earlier there's two notes for every one.…So you have two E strings, two A strings,…two D strings, and two G strings.…So it's tuned exactly the same as a violin…but it's twice as hard to tune because of all these pairs.…
There's several ways to go about tuning…and I'm just gonna march you through them, each of them,…because they each have their pluses and minuses.…Of course a lot of us are using electronic tuners these days…and I'm also want of those fellas.…Got my little D Addario tuner here, I like it a lot.…It keeps everything at four 40…and you always know that you're getting a four 40 pitch…of off that but they're not perfect, you know,…and I think that there's a real danger these days…of people tuning with their eyes…rather than with their ears.…
When I think back of the old days of how in-tune…
This course is part two of the Mandolin Lessons series, which includes hundreds of lessons, exclusive performances, and special guest interviews. Make sure to check out the exercise files for downloadable tab, audio samples, and other study materials.
Note: This course was created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Adjusting your action
- Changing strings and tuning the mandolin
- Playing a 1-6-2-5 progression
- Understanding moveable chords
- Practicing mandolin
- Playing blues on the mandolin
- Playing kickoffs
Skill Level Beginner
1. Gear and Setup
2. More Fun with Theory
3. Intermediate Mandolin Tunes
5. The Blues
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.