In this lesson, Mike expands on the previous movable chord video. He changes it up with a diagram of a mandolin neck with strings to help relate the new information being covered to the playing of the mandolin. He shows off three particular chords for the student to practice.
- Okay, now that you've learned the notes on the g string,…we're gonna look at all four strings,…and find where all the notes are.…This is just gonna help you in so many ways, folks.…Might need another cup of espresso for this.…So, here's your finger board,…and we just went through the notes on the g string.…This is the g, a, b, and c…are next to each other at four and five.…D…at seven.…E and f…at nine and 10,…and g, this is your octave.…This is the 12th fret,…the one with the two pretty little dots.…
If we go to the d string, we see the e at the second fret.…Again, here's e and f right next to each other,…just like they were back here.…G, a, b, and c, right next to each other,…and then d.…There's your octave.…So, let's just look at the d chord.…(mandolin strumming)…The first d chord I ever showed you,…and how to bring that up to an e chord…was this, right?…Because, this is your e note.…You're barring the middle two strings,…and then you're playing the outside strings…at the fourth fret.…
So, to find an f, simply going up one fret to this f note,…
This course is part two of the Mandolin Lessons series, which includes hundreds of lessons, exclusive performances, and special guest interviews. Make sure to check out the exercise files for downloadable tab, audio samples, and other study materials.
Note: This course was created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Adjusting your action
- Changing strings and tuning the mandolin
- Playing a 1-6-2-5 progression
- Understanding moveable chords
- Practicing mandolin
- Playing blues on the mandolin
- Playing kickoffs
Skill Level Beginner
1. Gear and Setup
2. More Fun with Theory
3. Intermediate Mandolin Tunes
5. The Blues
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.