Here, Mike Marshall gives the students a set of finger-busters and finger stretching exercises. Doing exercises like these, non musical, are good for building up stamina and speed while playing, which is necessary because the upcoming lessons are going to be more and more complicated.
- OK, here are a couple finger busters…to help you loosen things up…and develop some more independence.…We're starting to play a lot of tunes now…that have a lot of twists and turns in them.…So, I love to do these things where you just,…they're non-musical, and you're just trying…to work the hands and get things lined up.…It's about lining the pick up with the left hand being,…playing the actual note on a nice, solid, fretted thing.…So, we're gonna do this thing where we use the A note…on the E string as a pivot note, (mandolin strum)…and we're playing chromatically (mandolin strum)…all the other notes on that string, going backwards.…
And we're doing two fingers,…the second finger is covering the G sharp and the G,…and then the first finger is covering the F sharp…and the F.…And then, you're open.…We go over to the next string and do the same thing,…C sharp and D, C and D, B and D, (mandolin strum)…B flat and D. (mandolin strum)…And again, now, this D note is your up stroke,…so be really honest about whether that's sounding…
This course is part two of the Mandolin Lessons series, which includes hundreds of lessons, exclusive performances, and special guest interviews. Make sure to check out the exercise files for downloadable tab, audio samples, and other study materials.
Note: This course was created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Adjusting your action
- Changing strings and tuning the mandolin
- Playing a 1-6-2-5 progression
- Understanding moveable chords
- Practicing mandolin
- Playing blues on the mandolin
- Playing kickoffs
Skill Level Beginner
1. Gear and Setup
2. More Fun with Theory
3. Intermediate Mandolin Tunes
5. The Blues
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.