Mike Marshall teaches the classic old tune of Salt Creek. Mike breaks the song down bar by bar and explains the chords used and the melody line for the song. Backing tracks and practice sheets are available.
- Okay.…We're gonna try Salt Creek now.…This is a classic tune that everybody plays.…I first heard Doc Watson play it on the guitar,…and now it's one of the most popular-played tunes…in your bluegrass jam sessions.…It starts with a slide…(mandolin playing)…on the D string…up to the A…and at the same time,…you're playing the open A string.…Typical fiddle move,…it's kind of the classic fiddle move…for a tune like Sally Goodin, for instance.…(mandolin strumming)…They always start that way.…
So, here goes.…One, two, three…(mandolin playing "Salt Creek")…Okay.…
We've got our first big position shift…(mandolin strumming)…and we're bringin' our first finger up…to the high A note on the E string,…and this puts us in third position.…(mandolin riff)…So you're playing A B C-sharp…and the F-sharp on the A string…and the E on the A string at the seventh fret.…So you're in this kind of position.…(mandolin riff)…Then we move down to a G chord,…and you simply take the whole position down…and play the same riff in the key of G.…
This course is part two of the Mandolin Lessons series, which includes hundreds of lessons, exclusive performances, and special guest interviews. Make sure to check out the exercise files for downloadable tab, audio samples, and other study materials.
Note: This course was created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Adjusting your action
- Changing strings and tuning the mandolin
- Playing a 1-6-2-5 progression
- Understanding moveable chords
- Practicing mandolin
- Playing blues on the mandolin
- Playing kickoffs
Skill Level Beginner
1. Gear and Setup
2. More Fun with Theory
3. Intermediate Mandolin Tunes
5. The Blues
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.