Mike teaches the classic old tune of Red Haired Boy. Mike breaks the song down bar by bar and explains the chords used and the melody line for the song. Backing tracks and practice sheets are available.
- Okay.…Now we're gonna play Red Haired Boy.…And this one starts off, right out of the box,…with a little syncopation.…And I really want you to focus on the right hand…and make sure that you're gettin' these…down up down ups where they should be.…So it starts this way.…One (strumming)…Two (strumming)…One, two, three and…(mandolin playing "Red Haired Boy")…So that little riff there…♫ Down up up down…♫ Down up up down…So we end up with two ups in a row,…'cause we're going bum bum bum bum.…
♫ Down up up down…So you see, there's an up here and an up here.…♫ Down up up down…And then we're back into…the regular back and forth.…One, two, three and…(mandolin playing "Red Haired Boy")…So that's the A section.…
I'll do it one more time, really slow.…One, two, three and…(mandolin playing "Red Haired Boy")…♫ Down up up down,…♫ Down up up down…(mandolin playing "Red Haired Boy")…Then the B section.…One, two, three…(mandolin playing "Red Haired Boy")…So you notice we add a little triplet in there.…
(mandolin riff)…I'll start at the top again.…
This course is part two of the Mandolin Lessons series, which includes hundreds of lessons, exclusive performances, and special guest interviews. Make sure to check out the exercise files for downloadable tab, audio samples, and other study materials.
Note: This course was created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Adjusting your action
- Changing strings and tuning the mandolin
- Playing a 1-6-2-5 progression
- Understanding moveable chords
- Practicing mandolin
- Playing blues on the mandolin
- Playing kickoffs
Skill Level Beginner
1. Gear and Setup
2. More Fun with Theory
3. Intermediate Mandolin Tunes
5. The Blues
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.