Join Gayle Kowalchyk for an in-depth discussion in this video Melodic intervals: 5ths, part of Piano Lessons: Teach Yourself to Play.
- When you skip three white keys,…the interval is a fifth.…On the staff,…a fifth is written from a line to a line…or a space to a space.…Now you're ready to play fifths on the keyboard.…First with your right hand,…and then with your left.…Place your right hand thumb on middle C,…(piano music)…Up a fifth,…(piano music)…then down a fifth.…
(piano music)…Now place your left hand fifth finger…on the C below middle C.…(piano music)…Play up a fifth,…(piano music)…and then down a fifth.…(piano music)…In fifths,…you'll find melodic fifths in each measure.…One two three four.…(piano music)…It's helpful before playing my fifth…to find all of the fifths in the piece.…
Note too that the dynamics change…in this piece as well.…One two three four.…(piano music)…Melodic interval review,…reviews all the intervals that you've learned so far.…
One two three four.…(piano music)…
- Practicing proper hand technique
- Practicing proper seating position
- Practicing the right-hand C and left-hand C positions
- Melodic intervals
- Harmonic intervals
- B for the left and right hand
- A for the left hand
- Using the damper pedal
- Moving up and down the keyboard in 6ths
- Measuring half steps and whole steps
- Progressions and triplets
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Basics
2. Melodic Intervals
3. Introducing Harmony
4. New Rhythms and Intervals
5. Music Theory
6. Progressions and Triplets
Closing and credits1m 44s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.