Mike Marshall teaches the classic old tune of June Apple. Mike breaks the song down bar by dar and explains the chords used and the melody line for the song. Backing tracks and practice sheets are available.
- Hi, now we're gonna play a little bit of June Apple,…great classic old time fiddle tune,…and I'll play it for you first, and then I'll break it down…and we'll go through it part by part.…But just to get the sound of it in your head,…here's June Apple.…A one two three.…(lively music)…Okay, now we'll break it into little parts…and I'll walk you through it bit by bit.…
It's a great little tune.…It's in A and it uses the A note and the G natural note…so it's got that kind of bluesy sound…with the flat seven, the G.…So here's the A part.…One, two, three.…(lively music)…So it's three phrases, basically,…and the cool thing about this tune…is the first and the second phrases are the same, basically.…
Your fingers are moving, but the way…your right hand is playing is the same.…So it's, you're playing off this A and G note.…And again, these are pickup notes to the downbeat…so it's one, two, one and two and one.…So your one is a high A note.…You're playing E and G to lead you to that downbeat.…One and two, one, two, one.…
Now this is the same basic movement…
This course is part two of the Mandolin Lessons series, which includes hundreds of lessons, exclusive performances, and special guest interviews. Make sure to check out the exercise files for downloadable tab, audio samples, and other study materials.
Note: This course was created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Adjusting your action
- Changing strings and tuning the mandolin
- Playing a 1-6-2-5 progression
- Understanding moveable chords
- Practicing mandolin
- Playing blues on the mandolin
- Playing kickoffs
Skill Level Beginner
1. Gear and Setup
2. More Fun with Theory
3. Intermediate Mandolin Tunes
5. The Blues
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.