In this lesson, Mike talks about his preferred method of practicing. What he likes to do, is keep his instrument out in the open of his home, so that whenever he walks by, there is a chance for him to sit down and practice. He feels its a much more rewarding way to practice as opposed to having a rigid schedule.
- I'd like to talk now a little bit about practicing.…About how to practice; how to get the most out of,…out of the limited time that all of us have to spend…with our instruments. I'm sure you all have regular lives…that a mandolin might not be the thing you do for…24 hours a day and so there's always that time crunch.…How in the world am I going to find time to do…all the things I want to do on this instrument?…And, a couple of things come to mind.…One is, I always leave my mandolin out where it's sitting…out where I can see it, rather than in the case, under…the bed. Just so that, as you walk by you see it there…sitting there calling to you. That's one.…
I like to have a station where my practice always takes…place at the time, which I think is very helpful.…To always have the same place. So it's not this gigantic…ritual of having to get the case out, go find the chair,…go get the music stand, go get the tuner and the metronome,…near your computer and set this whole thing up.…So, having it already set up, in a sort of sacred zone…
This course is part two of the Mandolin Lessons series, which includes hundreds of lessons, exclusive performances, and special guest interviews. Make sure to check out the exercise files for downloadable tab, audio samples, and other study materials.
Note: This course was created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Adjusting your action
- Changing strings and tuning the mandolin
- Playing a 1-6-2-5 progression
- Understanding moveable chords
- Practicing mandolin
- Playing blues on the mandolin
- Playing kickoffs
Skill Level Beginner
1. Gear and Setup
2. More Fun with Theory
3. Intermediate Mandolin Tunes
5. The Blues
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.