Join Jared Meeker for an in-depth discussion in this video Harmonics, part of Acoustic Guitar Lessons: Intermediate.
- Now for harmonics.…This is a really cool sound…that you can do pretty easily on guitar,…easier than on other instruments, such as a piano,…but basically you just touch very lightly on a string…to produce a bell like tone, such as this.…(guitar playing)…So when you're trying to do this,…just don't press very hard,…and try to basically be right above the fret wire,…you just touch it very lightly,…and you can actually take your finger…off the string once you pick.…
(guitar string vibrates)…And that will just sustain.…Now let's talk about how the guitar is divided up.…So basically the 12th fret is the exact half way point…between the bridge and the nut,…and so that's going to be your first harmonic.…It's exactly one octave higher than your open string.…So let's try this on the thinnest string for this example.…This is the open fundamentals.…
(guitar string vibrates)…And this is the first harmonic higher that that.…(guitar string vibrates)…Next, let's play the seventh fret harmonic,…which is an octave plus a fifth.…(guitar string vibrates)…
- Flatpicking arpeggios
- Tuning with harmonics
- Bending strings and vibrato
- Creating a monster funk groove
- Blurring the line between rhythm and lead
- Mapping the fretboard in boxes
- Getting creative with open strings
Skill Level Intermediate
1. New Colors and Textures
2. New Grooves and Styles
3. Pentatonic Possibilities
4. Mapping the Fretboard in Boxes
6. Introducing Alternate Tunings
Conclusion and credits2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.