Here, Mike Marshall takes a break for playing the mandolin to discuss some basic theory with his students. He explains how simple chords are found and what to do when the notes in charts cant be played on the mandolin.
- Okay, it's time for some more fun with theory.…And we're gonna talk a little bit about…the mandolin and…how it relates to scales…on the musical staff,…and what we're dealing with here.…This is a time for you to get a cup of coffee,…put down your mandolin, and just try to absorb…this stuff intellectually for a moment,…get away from your instrument.…You've probably been playing all day anyway.…You need a break, right?…Your fingers are hurting.…But you take this stuff in, you'll hear some of these…concepts as you play music more and more,…and it might take several times of hearing…the same thing before it actually fixes and you say,…"Oh yes, I've heard about that, now I understand…"what people are talking about".…
So we're gonna talk about scale for a minute,…a simple G scale, something you all have played…probably at this point.…(music)…Or you've certainly heard it.…(music)…And this is the building blocks of harmony.…And when we talk about a chord,…we're talking about the first,…the third, and the fifth notes of that scale.…
This course is part two of the Mandolin Lessons series, which includes hundreds of lessons, exclusive performances, and special guest interviews. Make sure to check out the exercise files for downloadable tab, audio samples, and other study materials.
Note: This course was created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Adjusting your action
- Changing strings and tuning the mandolin
- Playing a 1-6-2-5 progression
- Understanding moveable chords
- Practicing mandolin
- Playing blues on the mandolin
- Playing kickoffs
Skill Level Beginner
1. Gear and Setup
2. More Fun with Theory
3. Intermediate Mandolin Tunes
5. The Blues
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.