In Part 2 of this lesson, Mike Marshall teaches the classic tune "Fisher's Hornpipe" . Mike breaks the song down bar by bar and explains the chords used and the melody line for the song. Backing tracks and practice sheets are available.
- Okay, now we'll play the chords to Fisher's Hornpipe.…I'm gonna give you a couple of new chords here now.…As I was saying, the chords to the song…change rather quickly.…D, G, D, G.…So rather than go from this kind of bluegrass D…all the way to this bluegrass G…which is a pretty far jump,…I'm gonna ask you to just take this D chord over…to the next two low strings and voila,…it is a G chord.…And it's often barred.…
The middle two strings are barred.…I can do that with the tip of my second finger,…so I kinda cheat.…If you have big, wide fingers, you can do that.…So this makes going from D to G really easy.…(mandolin music)…Now there's an E7 right here,…and I love to find chords that are the nearest…to the one I just played.…And there couldn't be anything nearer to this G…than this E7 because all you're doing…is bringing the G note up to G sharp.…
You're at four, six, and five…from the low strings.…And again, you're muting the top string.…You're not playing that at all.…So that's our new E7.…Just to keep things in perspective,…
This course is part two of the Mandolin Lessons series, which includes hundreds of lessons, exclusive performances, and special guest interviews. Make sure to check out the exercise files for downloadable tab, audio samples, and other study materials.
Note: This course was created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Adjusting your action
- Changing strings and tuning the mandolin
- Playing a 1-6-2-5 progression
- Understanding moveable chords
- Practicing mandolin
- Playing blues on the mandolin
- Playing kickoffs
Skill Level Beginner
1. Gear and Setup
2. More Fun with Theory
3. Intermediate Mandolin Tunes
5. The Blues
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.