In Part 1 of this lesson, Mike Marshall teaches the classic tune "Fisher's Hornpipe" . Mike breaks the song down bar by bar and explains the chords used and the melody line for the song. Backing tracks and practice sheets are available.
- It's time for Fisher's Hornpipe now.…This is a tune I recorded with my good buddy, Chris Thile…a while back.…I don't think I'll be showing you that version with all…its crazy variations and rhythmic displacement and harmonic…madness.…We're gonna stick with the old time version here for now.…This again has a couple of moves in it that you'll be able…to use in many, many places.…We're building our little repertoire of Bluegrassy,…fiddle tuney rifts that we will then use in many ways…throughout the course.…
This tune has chords that change rather quickly,…D, G, just to like two beats on each chord.…And that manifests itself melodically in the actual melody,…you're moving from…a D to a G, a D to a G.…It's got a kind of twisty turny feeling to the fingers.…G, D,…G, E,…G, D,…A.…
So you just have to be sort of.…If that's tricky for you.…Break it down.…(music playing)…And just cycle that so you get those fingers to make…those moves.…(music playing)…So that's the whole A section and that repeats.…
And the B section starts with a trill.…
This course is part two of the Mandolin Lessons series, which includes hundreds of lessons, exclusive performances, and special guest interviews. Make sure to check out the exercise files for downloadable tab, audio samples, and other study materials.
Note: This course was created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Adjusting your action
- Changing strings and tuning the mandolin
- Playing a 1-6-2-5 progression
- Understanding moveable chords
- Practicing mandolin
- Playing blues on the mandolin
- Playing kickoffs
Skill Level Beginner
1. Gear and Setup
2. More Fun with Theory
3. Intermediate Mandolin Tunes
5. The Blues
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.