Join Gayle Kowalchyk for an in-depth discussion in this video Eighth notes, part of Piano Lessons: Teach Yourself to Play.
- [Narrator] These are eighth notes.…Eighth notes are often played in pairs.…Two eighth notes are played in the time of one quarter note.…When a piece contains eighth notes,…you'll count "one and" for each quarter note…and "one and" for each pair of eighth notes.…Clap these notes counting aloud.…(beeping)…One, two,…ready clap.…One and two and three and four and…one and two and three and four and…one and two and three and four and…one and two and three and four and.…
Skip to My Lou uses eighth notes in the right hand melody.…Let me play the first two measures for you…and I'll count so you see how the eighth notes fit in.…One and two and three and four and.…One and two and three and four and.…One and two and three and four and.…Now let's try the whole piece together.…One and two and three and four and.…("Skip to My Lou" playing)…Here's Skip to My Lou with a slightly different left hand.…
There's a warm-up that will help you prepare to play…the left hand of this new version.…One, two, three, four.…(piano playing)…Now we'll play both hands.…
- Practicing proper hand technique
- Practicing proper seating position
- Practicing the right-hand C and left-hand C positions
- Melodic intervals
- Harmonic intervals
- B for the left and right hand
- A for the left hand
- Using the damper pedal
- Moving up and down the keyboard in 6ths
- Measuring half steps and whole steps
- Progressions and triplets
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Basics
2. Melodic Intervals
3. Introducing Harmony
4. New Rhythms and Intervals
5. Music Theory
6. Progressions and Triplets
Closing and credits1m 44s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.