Mike talks about ear training in this lesson and how important of a skill it is to be able to, without hesistation, make the connection between what you hear on a record or in your head, and instantly be able to play it on your instrument.
- Okay, we're going to talk a little bit about…ear training, and just making that connection…between what you're hearing, either on a record,…or in your own mind whistling a tune.…And how to find that on your instrument, you know.…This is a really important part…because it ties into what you might do when you're soloing,…and also is a way of building vocabulary,…by learning these tunes and connecting it to the instrument.…It's just a wonderful way to increase your musicality.…
So, I'm going to recommend that you try…and pick out tunes on demand,…simple little folk songs, you know, Mary had a little lamb.…Anything, you know, like that,…that's just gonna get you sort of humming,…and then trying to find those notes, you know?…On your mandolin, because this is how I learned, really.…Of course, its one thing to learn a tune from somebody,…and you're watching them play the tune.…And, that's a great resource,…but you're really watching their fingers,…and so you're doing this kind of visualization…of how the song goes.…
This course is part two of the Mandolin Lessons series, which includes hundreds of lessons, exclusive performances, and special guest interviews. Make sure to check out the exercise files for downloadable tab, audio samples, and other study materials.
Note: This course was created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Adjusting your action
- Changing strings and tuning the mandolin
- Playing a 1-6-2-5 progression
- Understanding moveable chords
- Practicing mandolin
- Playing blues on the mandolin
- Playing kickoffs
Skill Level Beginner
1. Gear and Setup
2. More Fun with Theory
3. Intermediate Mandolin Tunes
5. The Blues
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.