Mike Marshall shares the classic tune "Cookoo's Nest". He walks the students through the entire song from start to finish and points out areas of difficulty and presents ideas on how to better approach them. Backing tracks and practice sheets are available.
- All right.…This next section we're gonna learn…a whole bunch of tunes.…I can't emphasize enough…how important this is…to playing bluegrass.…Even though maybe you don't…play a lot of instrumentals…in your band that you play with,…bluegrass is primarily a vocal…style, but from these fiddle tunes,…these old Irish tunes that came…over to the Appalachian Mountains,…there exists all the melodic fragments…that we use in all the music…that we play.…
And it's just a beautiful way to…build your technique and develop…a body of licks as it were that…you then deconstruct and use…in different places, in either…a vocal tune or when you begin…to improvise over one song,…you might be pulling a fragment…out of another song.…So I will encourage or urge…you to learn these tunes…as close as you can to how…I'm playing them or if you're…learning off of some other…source, try to get as much nuance…as you can, whether it's exactly…how somebody's sliding into a note…or the exact inflection of where…they put the accents on the melodies.…
In the old days, we used to slow the LPs…
This course is part two of the Mandolin Lessons series, which includes hundreds of lessons, exclusive performances, and special guest interviews. Make sure to check out the exercise files for downloadable tab, audio samples, and other study materials.
Note: This course was created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Adjusting your action
- Changing strings and tuning the mandolin
- Playing a 1-6-2-5 progression
- Understanding moveable chords
- Practicing mandolin
- Playing blues on the mandolin
- Playing kickoffs
Skill Level Beginner
1. Gear and Setup
2. More Fun with Theory
3. Intermediate Mandolin Tunes
5. The Blues
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.